The Sesquiplan first appeared in 1921 it was a sleek shoulder-wing braced monoplane powered by a supercharged 300hp (224kW) Hispano-Suiza 8Fb engine. The name "Sesquiplan" was due to the additional aerofoil that was attached to the axle of the fixed conventional landing gear. Two Sesquiplans were built and both were entered into the Coupe Deutsch de la Meurthe speed event held in October 1921. One aircraft crashed during the race but the other won with an average speed of 278.36 km/h (173 mph). The surviving aircraft was modified with a 400hp (298kW) Wright H.3 engine and a revised vertical tail and named named Eugène Gilbert.